So, I'm not the best when it comes to understanding rhetoric, but this cartoon seems easy enough to write about. Thus, this is the one I chose for the assignment.
As you can see, the cartoon depicts a soldier and a colllege graduate standing side by side. The soldier is armed with a rifle and his orders, while the graduate holds only his college diploma and an expression that could be descirbed as uncertain. After reading the soldier's words, I can't help but wonder how true they may actually be. In today's economy, finding a job is an extremely difficult process in most places. It's not uncommon to hear of people enlisting in the military just to be able to provide for themselves and their families. One can also obtain a college degree through the military, so couldn't the soldier reallly be better off than the graduate? Like he said, it's not difficult to find a war to fight in these days. But that's just it: he's going off to war. Which, out of the two, seems a better choice to him than staying home with his family, going to college, and attempting to find a job. What does this say about our economy?
Chelsea,
ReplyDeleteThis looks like a great image to dissect for your rhetorical analysis. You might also want to consider what this cartoon is suggesting about America's values and its place in the global community. "It's easier to find a war than a job" not only says something about our economy, but also about our nation's relations with other countries (i.e. Iraq, Afghanistan) and our government's priorities. You might want to think about what this cartoon is saying about the relationship between our involvement in war and the state of the economy. Is this cartoonist suggesting that one is affecting the other? I think you have an awesome start here!
I really like that your writing about this. Mostly because it kinda hits close to home for me because this is an issue my brother is working through right now. Once you pick a side this paper has the potential to be very stronge! Plus there is plenty of room for emotional appeal, which in its self is a stronge persuasive device if used right! I think this will make for an excellent paper!
ReplyDeleteThe topic you choose is a very powerful and highly debated subject. I enjoy how you have analized the situation and you've posed a fascinationg question that can be interpretted in various ways. You posed the question that since the soldier can obtain a degree just as the college student, which one is better off, the soldier or the college student? This is a strong topic that will create an intense and intriguing paper that will be a delight to read.
ReplyDeleteThanks guys! I really appreciate your comments and helpful tips. They will definitely help in the writing of my paper
ReplyDelete:]
Hey Chelsea. This is a great start to an effective argument. The cartoon in and out of itself speaks volumes, and you are right, it should be easy to write about. It is sad that our economy is in such a poor shape. My only advice is that you might want to add in some statistics of how unemployment has gone up through the years, and maybe you should look for some statistics that say how many people choose the military route the past couple years, especially during the time period that the economy started going down hill. I hope that helps some...sorry I am not so great at this myself.
ReplyDelete