And I can't sleep.
Have you ever randomly thought of a word, usually it having nothing at all to do with what you're doing or thinking about, and realized you actually have no idea what it means? Maybe it just sounds cool and you really want to use it one day, but to do that, you have to know what it means. I do this a lot, but I had a really bad case of it about thirty minutes ago.
I was about to wash my face and get ready for bed (but not sleep, obviously) and out of nowhere the words angular momentum pop into my head. Where the hell did that come from? I have no idea. I've never even taken physics. But it's a really cool phrase and, if used correctly, could make me sound totally smart. I had to know what it meant. "Ok, just break it down and you can figure it out. No big deal," I thought to myself. My internal argument continued like this:
Angular: obviously, it deals with angles. Easy peasy.
Momentum: a little more difficult to define..it's not really speed it's..it has to do with consistancy, right? Yeah that sounds right..
So..the constant movement of..an angle? A constant angle? Maybe I'm forgetting something..triangles?
Screw it. This is what google.com was made for.
So I looked it up. Surprisingly, I was close. Kinda. I shoulda guessed circles instead of triangles. Angular momentum measures an object's tendency to continue to spin.
Don't ask for an example because I have no idea. But next time I see some one spinning a basketball, believe me when I say that I'll go up and tell them all about angular momentum and they better damn well listen.
If you actually read through all this, kudos to you. :]
Hehe, this wasnt that boring, or maybe Im just bored right now and so reading this was fun, either way...But no, Ive never done this haha, why would you think of a word that you dont know, maybe your brain is knowledge hungry, oh and another example is a spinning top, the energy you put into it with your hand wants to go in one direction but because the top is circular it has to travel in all directions, hints why the top doesnt fall over
ReplyDeleteHaha wow Chelsea. I love how your mind works. And yes, I've heard this term more than I ever want too. I took physics my senior year. Smart move on my part. Plus my friends here are engineers. Angular momentum is very random to have pop into your head though. If you ever want to here about angular momentum and elasticity or anything pertaining to physics just come find me and my friends at Morril. You will hear more than you will want to know about it.
ReplyDeleteThis was more interesting than a lot of the other blogs. I do that a lot as well.Think of words and then google them. Passes the time. You should get the stumble bar. Its free and you just stumble across a bunch of really interesting stuff and is a great way to kill time.
ReplyDelete